Former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), was on Tuesday granted bail on self recognition following his arraignment before Justice Ademola Adeniyi of Federal High Court, Abuja on charges of possession of firearms without licence by the Department of State Security (DSS).
The former NSA team of lawyers led by Joseph Daudu swiftly demanded for bail for Sambo after he pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Justice Adeniyi Ademola however asked the former NSA to deposit his international passport with the court as part of the conditions for the bail. He adjourned further hearing to 26/27 October.
The DSS had in a statement last week said it would arraign Sambo in court in a statement signed by Mr. Tony Opuiyo, its spokesperson.
“You may recall that on 16th July, 2015, the DSS, carried out a search operation on properties belonging to Dasuki in Abuja and Sokoto,” Opuiyo said.
Opuyo said this action was necessitated by credible intelligence which linked the former NSA to acts capable of undermining national security.
He also recalled that a search operation on the residence of Sambo had led to recovery of large cache of arms and ammunition among other things and for which he said the DSS had conducted further investigations.
“Consequently,” Opuiyo added: “On Monday, August 24, 2015, he was charged to court based on evidence so far obtained, but which relates to possession of fire arms without licence punishable under section 27(i)(a)(i) of the Firearms Act Cap F28 LFN 2004.”