The death toll from the bomb blast that rocked a hall within the Sabon-gari Local Government Sectratriat, Kaduna State, North-West Nigeria Tuesday, has risen.
Though there is still no official figure of the effected victims, an eye witness told newsmen that he was able to count over forty corpses and several dismembered bodies being taken to the hospital.
“I was waiting outside the local government secretariat when suddenly I heard a loud explosion. Thereafter, I saw several dead bodies,” the eyewitness told our correspondent.
According to him, people in the hall were more than a hundred, but said counted more than fifty corpses, describing the incident as ” wicked and unfortunate.”
It was gathered that the bomb blast that occurred at about 9:20a.m. may have been targeted at the newly sworn in council boss, Engineer Mohammed Usman Samaru.
Most of the affected victims were supporters as well as friends of Samaru waiting to welcome the newly sworn in Sabon-Gari council boss formally to office.
Though some civil servants that were around for the on-going Biometric exercise outside the hall were also affected, our correspondent gathered that the suicide bomber sneaked into the main hall where the council boss was to be formally received.
As at the time of filing this report, armed policemen and soldiers had been drafted to cordon off the area.
Kaduna Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai left Kaduna to Zaria immediately to assess the level of damage and console families of the victims.